There were ten of us at the Limes dig last Saturday and all parked just opposite the field entrance. Despite grim weather, cold, windy and drizzly interspersed with rain everyone worked hard and we completed chopping out and removing the top layer of turves over the entire trench. Terry and David (Gipson) measured the trench and placed markers at 1-metre spaces so we can accurately plot our finds!
We also discussed what we need from the archaeology supplies catalogue, thanks to our subs we can afford to buy things like marker pins and barrier tape.
Now that the hard work of lifting the turves is done we can all start getting on our knees with our trowels, for those who don’t have good knees you can still come along and see what we’re doing and how we’re progressing, park opposite or at the church car park, the gate will be open into the horse field, any research that anyone can do on the location will be most welcome.
I’m attaching a photo that I took just before we left, I know David took a load of photos as did Diane, this time she didn’t arrive just as we were having our tea break!